Thursday, February 16, 2012

I knew I'd be in a new place with a different language and unfamiliar people... but you can't even imagine it until you're completely immersed. People ask what the weather is like in Oklahoma and I can't even convey what 100 degrees Fahrenheit is (luckily I have a convertor on my cheap Austrian phone).  I was on the elevator trying to go to the basement and there were several options that were letters (apparently the word for basement doesn't start with a 'b', but I got to the laundry room). All the words on the washer are in German and you select the temperature in Celsius. The German keyboards are even different! You don't realize how many things you read every day until you can't understand any of them.

We went to McDonalds and ordered in English-it seemed blasphemist to not order Big Mac and fries.. I ended up with a chicken sandwich that had sweet and sour sauce on it...

  We have not seen a single pickup truck yet. Not one.

The vending machines at the school don't have candy bars and soda.. There's one full of all different kind of sandwiches on brotchen, another solely for yogurt, and multiple machines for coffee. This is even better for my tastes, but still so strange!


We walked to the big grocery store today. I found 2 of the 5 items I was looking for, so that's better than nothing! Morgan even found chicken nuggets that had cooking instructions in English! I haven't tried any of my finds yet, so we'll see how it goes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment