Monday, April 16, 2012


Prague
What a place, what a place...






Prior to Maria Theresa's implementation of a numbering system, Prague houses were marked with a symbol. The symbol might represent the occupation of the family living there, or it may be a jade-hued crustacean.... here are some famous ones:

Green Lobster


Three violins




The one Mike is touching means you'll return to Prague while the
one Jolyne has her hand on grants a wish. I touched both
simultaneously (there was no rule book).

I think the one below was just general luck. I'll take what I can get.

The pic below is for my dad! The Bruins are his favorite hockey team (and defending Stanley Cup champs I might add)
Nice to see European support and a sweet jacket!






 

The above picture is for Morgan and Grace:) We're learning about hippie culture and such in my 1960s popculture and I love it!


The library had this super cool book sculpture! I looked for titles I'd read,
 then realized they were all in Czech...



The famous astronomical clock!

The famous Catholic heretic Jan Huss was from Prague. He's pretty revered still.

Since it was still Easter time there was a big market in the town square. Below is a video of one of the performances going on! They also had shops selling food and souvenirs and such. 





To set the scene and connect the pieces: Above is the 'castle district'. This is a huge complex with many gardens and buildings and such. It contains the beautiful and gigantic church, the present day President's office, etc. etc. Leading down from the district is the very pretty street with all of the house symbols. That street continues down to the archway with the flags above, which then leads to the Charles bridge! From this bridge St. Stephen was thrown to his death. Today there are replications of the original statues (they're in safe keeping in a museum) and many stands selling cool jewelry and such.


And don't worry, we ate in Prague too:






Limerack ham and Irish cheddar! Super yummy



Salmon with cream cheese and capers.


Onion soup! After this I ordered a side of 'spinach with bleu cheese crumbles', thinking it was a salad (especially since it had dressings listed below). Nope, it was totally a huge plate of creamed spinach, but I powered through. I got my vegetable servings for all of April.



1 comment:

  1. LOVE ALL THE PICS PRETTY GIRL,YOU REALLY HAVE AN EYE !

    ReplyDelete